Property Insurance & Counseling

If you have property insurance, contact your insurance company as soon as possible.
  • Ask your insurance company about your immediate needs such as a place to stay or restoration procedures.
  • Also check to see what actions are required of you. An inventory of your personal items may need to be made and their assessed value. When possible, take photos to document your belongings.
  • If you are renting your home, you need to contact the owner as soon as possible.
  • All items in your home should be inventoried and no items should be thrown away without the approval of your insurance company.
Local Restoration Companies
The local phonebook lists several companies that can assist you with board-up procedures and restoration of your home. Homeowners should check with their individual insurance company for prior approval before securing a contract for restoration services.

No Insurance
If you do not have property insurance, their may be local agencies that may be able to provide assistance.
  • American Red Cross
  • Salvation Army
  • Religious organizations
  • Department of Social Services
  • Crisis Counseling Centers
Counseling Support
It is normal and often very common to experience depression, anxiety, sadness, anger, fatigue, nightmares, and difficulty concentrating after a fire. Children, as well as adults, can suffer from stress following a fire. If you or any member of your family needs support, the following agencies are available to assist with counseling services.
  • Rockbridge Area Community Services Board
  • Ph: 540-463-3141
  • American Red Cross, Central Virginia Chapter
  • Ph: 540-943-4511

Additional Contacts
Rockbridge County Emergency Management
Ph: 540-463-4361

Animal Care and Control
Ph: 540-463-7328
Ph: 540-463-5123