Boards, Committees, Commissions, and Authorities
In our democracy, government is of the people, by the people and for the people. That is why citizen participation in local government is so essential. Local government is the form of government closest to us in our everyday lives, and the one we are most able to influence. Advisory and decision bodies play a very important role in county government.
The Rockbridge County Board of Supervisors, from time to time, makes appointments to Boards, Committees, Commissions, and Authorities which work to serve the citizens of Rockbridge County in various capacities.
The following list includes a majority of Rockbridge County’s Boards, Committees, Commissions, and Authorities:
- Blue Ridge Resource Authority
- Planning Commission
- Tourism Corridor Overlay Board
- Board of Zoning Appeals
- Public Service Authority
- Economic Development Authority
- Building Code Board of Appeals
- Social Services Board
- Central Shenandoah Planning District Commission
- Regional Jail Commission
- Community Services Board
- Library Board of Trustees
- Maury Service Authority
- Central Shenandoah EMS Council
- Dabney S. Lancaster Board of Directors
- Shenandoah Valley Partnership
- Shenandoah Valley Workforce Development Board
- Rockbridge Area Recreation Organization Board of Directors
- Regional Tourism Board
- Agricultural and Forestal Districts Advisory Committee
- Rockbridge Area Network Authority
- Regional Communications Center Management Board
- Total Action for Progress Board
- Fire and Rescue Commission
- Blue Ridge Criminal Justice Board
- Valley Alcohol Safety Action Program Board
The Board expresses its appreciation to any interested citizen for willingness to participate in working for the future of our County.
Please complete an application and remit to the Office of the County Administrator or your Supervisor.
Boards, Committees, Commissions, and Authorities Application:
[Mail] Office of the County Administrator
ATTN: Brandy Whitten
150 South Main Street
Lexington, Virginia 24450
[Fax] (540) 463-4346
Walkers Creek District Supervisor:
A.J. Lewis, II
For a complete list, and detailed information about each organization and its membership requirements, please visit the County’s Website at:
Once appointed, and prior to assuming office, some members are required to be administered the Oath of Office by the Clerk of Circuit Court. Also prior to assuming office, each member is required to complete one or more of the following forms:
Statement of Economic Interest:
Real Estate Holdings:
The required form will be included in your appointment package. For more information on these forms, please visit the Virginia Conflict of Interest Advisor Council’s website at http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/conflict-of-interest.asp. There are helpful guides to assist you in completing the forms.
Also included in your appointment package will be copies of the most current version of the following Acts in the Code of Virginia:
The Virginia Freedom of Information Act:
The State and Local Government Conflict of Interest Act: http://www.co.rockbridge.va.us/DocumentCenter/View/2473/The-State-and-Local-Government-Conflict-of-Interest-Act-
The Virginia Public Records Act:
The Code requires that you read and become familiar with the provisions contained in these Acts.
Prospective members of Boards, Committees, Commissions, and Authorities must be current
with all local tax payments.